Wednesday 2 September 2009

Weaving away. Finally.

Weaving away.

I took a day to recover and the next day (yesterday) I wove.
Tied up the front ones, tried to tie them on, used tightly tied yarn to try and strap them on (I can't believe I just typed that).
Then... I found the diagram of how to tie the warp on. I did the back ties wrong so the centre ones (10 strands each) were thicker, they bulged and took up the yarn quicker so the outer 2 were slack. And my written instructions were fallign out of lying funny and all the time I was intwined in the castle and through various inner parts of the loom with my head under the top board of the desk which was lunging at me in ita attempts to brain me. Arraggh. This instigated swearing, all of it. Especially when I discovered I finally got it reasonably even I was winding it the wrong way. Yea it came slack and I had to repeat it. Twice because the second time I didn't twig and got it wrong again. Finally. Wound the right way and....... only the outer 2 slack. Rummage rummage and....I found a stick that came in the kit. After a time spent back inside the loom (i'm so lucky its not carnivorous. Or if it is, that it wasn't hungry) I wedged it into the castle slot (its collapsable this castle. Incongrougous in its tradition namesake.) Hope that keeps it tight ((as a Tiger) how and in what way is a tiger tight I ask.)

Seek paper. reject paper, I couldn't find paper I was willing to use so I used one of the sticks that came in the kit. Twiddle the twiddly tighteny thing to pull the warp tight. Push 1 nd 4 up, (aka do as the pictures tell me to). Pull some down, wonder why its sitting int he middle. vaguely wonder that is, then forget it, accidentially ignore it, ignorance is good sometimes. Stick the stick into the center of the warp. Pull out the reed pins and stick them into the castle.

Beat (oh didn't that feel good. I even like the sound of doing that, beating it. :) ) Beat the warp, finally ha ha, get one back. Ha. Lace my shuttle (its a stick shuttle) and put it through the warp. Right, what do I do nect, twiddle the castle paddles, swap them around. (sounds like a strange boat doesn't it? Makes it sound like it should have water wings and a inflatable duck ring.).

Figure that since its fraying and getting fuzzy that swap paddles then beat is better than neutral, beat, put into gear, beat. Do 5. Rejoice
Swap colours. Ignore wobbly edges, the fact I've pulled the green outer edges too tight and the first 5 rows are a bit loose. I can attempt to tightne it later

I can weave. Wow.

Now all I need is a warping thing. And a lie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment